Ziyad brand Semolina Coarse: 2 cups
Sugar: 1/2 cup
Margarine or Butter: 1/4 cup
Baking soda: 1/8 tsp
Baking powder: 1/2 tsp
Plain Yogurt: 5/8 cups
Ziyad brand Tahini: 1 Tbs
Pistachios (optional): About 5 without shells
Qatar (syrup): 1 cup water,1 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp lemon juice
A baking pan
2 mixing bowls
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Mix semolina, sugar and margarine together in a bowl.
3) In a seperate bowl stir in baking soda, baking powder and plain yogurt.
4) Then add the semolina mixture into into the seperate bowl and whisk together well.
5) Grease pan with tahini and pour mixture into pan, spread out mixture with your hands.
6) Place the pan into the oven carefully, bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
7)Now start making the Qatar, in a pot put the sugar, water and lemon juice, put to boil.
8) After it's done boiling remove from heat, then carefully with oven mittens take out pan from oven when done. Pour the boiling mixture to the pan.
9) Let it cool while you crush the pistachios. Place them without the shells into a ziploc bag and crush it with a roller until they're powder like. Then slice the basboosa and take a pitch of pistachio powder for each slice.
10) Lastly, after fully cooled off get a slice(s) and place it on a plate to serve.
***Tips: You may use any other brand. This pastry has different names. Use more Qatar if needed for soft texture.
*Semolina: is a type of wheat.
*Funny fact: When someone asks you how you made this make sure you don't say "salmonella" haha that's totally something else.